Time Warner's snide attitude over consumer backlash against their euphemistically named 'consumption based billing' [read: BANDWIDTH CAPS] proposal has apparently reached new levels.
First we see the snarky tweets from the likes of @AlexTWC (Alex Dudley, VP of Public Relations) suggesting DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades would now not take place because they were 'scheduled as part of cbb [consumption based billing] trial, but we all know how you feel about that.'
Now it seems that TWC Roadrunner customers in Austin are reporting their service being disconnected without warning and without a reason given.

Austin StoptheCap! reader Ryan Howard kicks off our premiere edition with a report that his Road Runner service was cut off yesterday without warning. According to Ryan, it took four calls to technical support, two visits to the cable store to try two new cable modems (all to no avail), before someone at Time Warner finally told him to call the company’s “Security and Abuse” center.

“I called the number and had to leave a voice mail and about an hour later a Time Warner technician called me back and lectured me for using 44 gigabytes in one week,” Howard wrote.

Howard was then “educated” about his usage.

“According to her, that is more than most people use in a year,” Howard said.

Howard questioned the company representative about what defines an acceptable amount of usage so he doesn’t get cut off again. He pays extra for Road Runner’s premium Turbo tier, so he already hands more money to Time Warner than average subscribers for his broadband service.

“All she would commit to is less — perhaps half or as quarter as much,” he said.

Another Austinite, Cory Finnegan, also complains of being cut off by TWC.

I live in Austin and I have also had my internet cut off for downloading 40-50 gigs in a week. One morning I opened firefox and there was a message telling me that I needed to call Time Warner’s security center to reinstate my connection.
I called and left my number and was called back within the hour. The woman on the phone informed me that I was using for too much bandwidth and that what I had downloaded was about as much as a normal person does in a year. Even more so than a “power user.” I asked her to define a power user and she said it was someone who “spends every waking moment on the computer, watches a lot of streaming video and downloads video game demos.” She told me that I would have to watch the amount of data that I downloaded and to keep it under 40 gigs a month.
This was actually a month or so before Time Warner was talking about their tiered internet cap so I guess they have had the idea for awhile. The worst part is that in my apartment building you cannot get any other cable internet service but Time Warner without huge installation fees. It all just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.
We know that TWC is still in the 'data collection phase' of bandwidth cap rollouts and has only delayed implementing their plan. Is this part of a plan to skew that data, by cutting off users it deems 'use too much' bandwidth so they can show data favorable to their bandwidth cap schemes?
Makes me wonder if blowing through a couple of television seasons on Netflix in two weeks will have TWC cutting off my service...
Full story at Stop the Cap!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep working, considerable profession! But I have some error with your sites plugins.

top