And the RIAA insanity continues...apparently they won't be satisfied until they figure out a way to charge each person for every time they play a song.
Just about everybody these days with a computer uses it to copy their CDs (that they own) for the convenience of playing music on their computer, in their car, or on a portable music player. Now, according to the RIAA, we're all thieves.
In a brief filed late last week, the RIAA said that the MP3 files on a PC owned by file-sharing defendants Jeffrey and Pamela Howell were "unauthorized copies" whether or not they were ever shared on a P2P network. Huh? The Howells state they copied their music so they could use one of those nifty mp3 players, which should be covered under fair use, and they never knowingly shared music over the internet. They have gone to trial without a lawyer to defend themselves against the RIAA.
In the Kazza Mom case, Sony BMG's head of litigation testified that she believed that ripping your own CDs is stealing.
"When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song. Making 'a copy' of a song you own is just a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'."
Well, what do you expect from Sony. I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic of this. I'm stealing my own CD I bought legally by copying it to my computer even if it is done for my own use and not to sell/distribute pirated copies. I guess we're all criminals now in the eyes of the RIAA.

read more | digg story

0 comments:

top